Come away with a few insights about the North American travel market, gained from the latest research by Expedia Media Group Solutions.
As we moved into Q3, concerns around the Delta variant and renewed restrictions led many travelers to reevaluate. Still, the industry saw positive progress in many areas.
<— Top 10 (starred destinations are new on the list in Q3) North American destinations.
Highlights include shorter booking windows for mainly domestic trips and search interest up 80% year-over-year for the quarter. Winter holiday bookings also surged, with warm weather places such as Oahu in Hawaii and Cancun / Riviera Maya in Mexico in the lead.
The Travel Industry’s Recovery Maintains Momentum
On the business travel front, data shows that demand was up more than 40% compared to Q2, and up 200% compared to the same time last year. As for where business travelers were headed, the top destinations for business travel included Chicago, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, and Charlotte.
See the trends rising to the top in Q3 2021, including how:
- Global search volumes held steady as border restrictions lifted
- Search windows were shorter as travelers preferred to book last minute
- Search volumes for a number of cities grew quickly
- Searches for winter holiday season travel were significantly up compared to 2020
- Business travel demand was on the rise as offices started to reopen